Getting antsy to get going. The weather is so warn so early. Given the butt whipping we took on our bottom ground Im hoping to start early and finish early.
Jen and I had a conference call with our crop insurance agent on Thirsday night. It might seem odd to have to do this by phone but its the way things go when u dont live were u farm. We settled on 80% this year. Somehow I hate betting against myself. Since the county average T yield is only 126bu last years 105bu average didnt do much to my averages. I am sure glad the first year was a bin buster. This will be my last year having a T yield in my APH. Once you get four years under your belt you are on your own.
We sold the 1 load of unhedged beans from last year. It was an odd balance that didnt sink up with thew CBOT 5000 bu contract. We still have a contact hedge waiting for the basis to improve. When we are all out planting its usually a good time to pull the trigger.
New crop has been quiet for a long time. I have about 30% of the corn hedged on CBOT and another 30% straddled 630 puts and calls. The straddle has been a learning experience. I dont think I would do it again so early. The decay is too slow. It also ties up a lot of margin money.
The prep trip is scheduled for March 23rd. A new to me planter tand tractor have me nervous. I know one we get rolling everything will be fine. The planter is 12 rows vs the six previous. Things will go down a lot quicker. Maybe we can pick up some custom planting to pay a few bills.
The work on the pivot continues to roll forward. Both resevoirs are complete. They finished the supply line to the pivot head today. The pivot is supposed to arrive next week and the installation crew will install the following. We have very little water in the resevoirs. Hopefully we can live on mother natures gifts most of the season while we store up water. The lease deal struck was $20/acre per water up to $120 max per year plus variable cost. As its an electric
pivot and we have positive water pressure from the resevoirs the operating cost should be reasonable. The dollars sound high but the land lord is willing to adjust if things dont come out quite right. Sometimes you just have to roll with it. This is the first pivot in the county. It should be exciting.
Off to get some bbook work done. Night Y'all