Farmers || Future

I am seeing more and more, in my area, some corn fields being planted with double rows.  That is to say, there is a row of corn, and within 3-6 inches, there is another row, then the usual 20-something inches to the next row(s).

Is this something that is all new, or has been around for some time?  Is it becoming common-place?

I can see the theory that you will get twice the yield, but is it worth doubling the cost of your seed corn?

Tags: corn, double-yield, planting

Views: 365

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My cousins use the twin row method you are talking about. There is a yield advantage as well as added stalk strength. However they do not double the seed rate. They increase it a little bit, but not near double the population. They plant mid to upper 30 thousand where the rest of us plant 30 or high 20s. It is just utilizing the potential of the seed more by spacing them more efficiently. That is the main advantage of it.
So I couldn't tell from the road, but it looked as though each stalk was side-by-side (with the same gap from stalk to stalk as conventional) in the twin rows. If I now understand correctly, they are actually offset from each other? Therefore, the gap between each stalk in the same row is only slightly smaller from conventional planting when factoring in both rows - thus only a slightly higher seed count?

I think I got it.
pretty much
this sounds interesting, but I have not seen it take off in a big way around my part of Kentucky or Tennessee. I'm guessing that around here, variable rate will show more economic benefit than double rows. I'm just a cattle farmer though, haha
There is all sorts of conflicting information available about twin-rows. Some studies suggest a yield advantage and others don't. Most of what I've seen lately seems to not see any real advantage to using the twin-row method. So who knows what to think?
I think it was farm journal did a study or had results from a 5 year study....some years it did better and the next year it didn't. I would have to disagree with David to some degree about stalk strength....I guess it would depend on population still, but our neighbor twin-rowed in 42,000....yikes. He even talked about trying 50K this year!! Bumping to 36K or something I think the twin row makes sense but I don't think it was meant for you to be able to plant at 45,000. Thats just ridiculous. His stalks looked like feed stalks and a bunch of it did lay down on him...That could have been due to the brand he planted as well. He did make it in on the NCG for Kansas...but I don't know that I want to spend 200 per acre on seed.
my cousins do in the 35000-38000 range and it works well, but 45-50000 is a bit extreme. It seems like their stalk would be small and brittle in the fall. I don't even know how much yield advantage there would be that thick.
i have a magazine article i saved dated 02 talking about twin rows.im trying to convince dad to get a great plains twin row planter. rows are on 30 inch centers, with 4 inches between the twins. the seeds are placed alternating in the twins. the idea is you get more use out of your ground, less sun hits the ground, and more space for roots to grow all resulting in a higher yield without skyrocketing populations. with great plains set up you can use your standard 30 inch equipment. sprayers and side dressers to corn heads.
a friend of mine plants twin rows for silage. they have 12 max emerge row units on a tool bar, and a separate fert. they plant the field once fert up, and then go back over it again putting down both seed and fert, it works good for them, but i think that takes too much time. i would rather get 12 more row units and put em on there.
the most recent study that i have seen was in the furrow. it talked about how twin rows balance out, some years you make it and some years it just doesn't add up they said in the end it averages out. seing how the furrow is published by john deere, and john deere don't make twin row planters makes me wonder. i have seen lots of write ups in the farm journal about twins. results have varied, i guess it comes down to knowing when you can really push a twin population, and at the same tine knowing that this might not be the year to plant 42k.
i know that seed companies are working on a specific twin row variety. if any are out yet, or are close to coming out yet i don't know. however i don't believe we will be seeing a corn that should be planted at 50k any time soon lol.

Tell your dad to go for it. We have used twins for 4 years now.  Added 8 to 10 bpa average across all our acres. We have increased our populations on dryland to 34000 and 37000 under water. We have been using a Great Plains 16 row twin. It has been a very good planter.

I see now that CIH has bought the rights to market the GP under the case name and color combo.

Kinze is coming out with a twin and Deere is selling a 12 row 36 inch twin in the south.

RSS

Members

More to do & places to go

• Keep up with your friends in the network on the go with Farmers for the Future Mobile!

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Jeff Caldwell.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service